The Department of Seismic monitors earthquake activities in United Arab Emirates, neighboring countries, and global level for strong earthquakes, and presents services of seismic monitoring to all sectors of the country, in addition to the exchange of data and information locally, regionally and internationally, also is to keep pace with scientific and technological development in seismic monitoring and analysis to be the best way, as well as to raise awareness of various activities of the center by all available means.
Whereas the Seismic Department includes the National Seismic Monitoring Center, that monitors earthquake activities in the state and neighboring countries, and follow up the maintenance of national seismic stations, also the department issuing reports weekly, monthly and annual for the seismic activities in the state and neighboring countries, in addition to the reports of felt earthquakes in the state, that send to government agencies concerned with disaster risk management in the state, as well as the publications dissemination through the various media, to enable the people and the concerned authorities to take the suitable decision to protect their lives and properties, and the capabilities of the country, which contributes to the growth and prosperity of the country.
Assess seismic hazard in the United Arab Emirates, through identifying all seismic active zones and its characteristics and their effects on all type of buildings and infrastructures, to reduce losses and contribute to the preservation of the achievements of the state growth and prosperity.
Aims of seismic Department:
- Establishing and Operation the National Seismic Networks and follow up the records and analysis in addition to the stations operation and maintenance.
- Observing seismic events around the hour in the UAE and adjacent areas, doing the analysis, assessment, reporting and archiving.
- Issuing earthquake maps and hazard maps for UAE.
- Coordinating with governmental agencies in the field of crisis management, by providing them with the perceived earthquake activities and the aftershocks activities.
- Unification of the earthquake data sources in the state, and build up the earthquake catalog of the state.
- Evaluation of earthquake activities and hazard seismic assessment in the state.
- Issuing seismic reports, maps, posters, and leaflets in the field of earthquakes.
- Implementation of seismic, engineering and faults geology studies, in the state, in order to assess the seismic hazard.
- Participate and coordinate with engineers in Municipalities, Public Work, and Universities to prepare and maintain the seismic building code for earthquake resistant design.
- Coordinate with local authorities to minimize seismic risk as much as possible by using the seismic building code through awareness at all level in the UAE.
- Offering advice and consultations in seismic hazard field to government and private sectors (universities, institute, companies).