Technical Services Department:
The department is in control of providing various technical services to center’s departments to assist them in accomplishing their technical and scientific tasks. This is done through the support and maintenance of equipment, information system and networks infrastructures.
Department of technical services is specialized on the following:
- Put up technical specifications of devices, stations and center’s required equipment such as regular air monitoring stations, automatic upper atmosphere monitoring stations, radar and seismic monitoring devices as well as other technological systems.
- Install, operate and monitor devices’ performance of at all stations.
- Conduct periodic routine and urgent maintenance to devices and stations.
- Perform the necessary calibrations in accordance to local and international standards to devices and systems used at the center.
- Manage, maintain, monitor and ensure the security and performance of the local and international telecommunications networks.
- Provide the needed communications channels and methods for the center.
Units managed by Technical Services Department:
1. Department of Information Systems and Servers responsible on the following:
- Manage the Operating system, servers and software applications.
- Design, implement and update database with backup copies.
- Design, develop and analyze the system.
- Design and reform the center’s site.
- Extend the necessary technical support to Center's staff on issues linked to the operating and information systems.
- Monitor and maintain performance of computers and its peripherals.
- Software Installation.
2. Department of maintenance and calibration is responsible on the following:
- Install and operate different type of equipment and meteorological and earthquakes stations.
- Conduct periodic routine and urgent maintenance to stations and equipment.
- Conduct the necessary calibrations required for the monitoring equipment and participating in setting international calibrations.
- Define equipment validity and operational life.
- Identify types and quantities of requested spare parts for the continuity of operation of appliances and equipment.
- Organize periodic and urgent maintenance agenda and prepare responsive maintenance teams.
3. Department of Communications & Networking is responsible on the following:
- Update the internal network of the center and link it to other local, regional and international ones.
- Enhance network operational efficiency and ensure the steadiness of data receipts.
- Provide means of connection between the center and its customers to easily transfer data.
- Restore, develop and increase the speed of the international telecommunications circuits linked with the center
- Provide lines with needed means of communication for the work place and take the necessary actions to attain required licenses.
- Monitor weather radars networks performance and conduct periodic maintenance for these networks.
- Provide on-line technical support to center’s staff or via e-mail.
This type of work requires qualified university or equivalent graduates in the fields of engineering, telecommunications, electronics, computer studies and software and information technology. However, in certain jobs related to information systems and maintenance, qualifications should be beyond average with sound experience supported by technical training courses in their field.